UN Day 2021: Creating a Blueprint for a Better Future

 A big part of my school's focus through community service, classes, and GIP events has been the connection with the UN and the Sustainable Development Goals, so any chance to further that connection is an important one. Last week, I had the pleasure of hearing from UN Youth Observers Dustin Liu and Cynthia Yue.

    Liu and Yue spoke to us about their experiences as UN Youth Observers and what they hope to accomplish with their position. Their message about the importance of youth advocacy and putting youth in meaningful positions really stuck with me. It was easy to resonate with what Liu and Yue were saying as they were the first speakers this year around the same age as me, so getting to hear their positions and opinions on similar issue I've discussed in class was especially helpful.

    Perhaps the most interesting part of the event, however, was the videos submitted for a grant project by youth from around the state. The passion that kids much younger than me exhibited about their chosen UN goals was truly inspiring, and it was very interesting hearing about their approaches to tackling the UN Goals from their position as middle schoolers, and embracing the idea of creating a blueprint for a better future.

    Overall, this was one of the most unique events I've experienced in my time at high school, and it has only empowered me to continue my work with my grant project and hopefully I'll get the chance to be a part of an event similar to this again.




Comments

  1. Jackson, wasn't this interesting. Your point about youth speakers at a GIP event- very true. Kudos to Ms D for conceiving of this approach through UNA Day. Both Dustin and Cynthia were passionate- full of energy (and I loved the graphics used by Dustin). Perhaps the most sobering part of the night was the point Dustin made about "burnout". I had not considered this concern, but it made me really think a lot about how we address, cover and engage in global matters including SDGs. You are SO RIGHT about those videos: so many were inspiring, eye opening and really fully displayed youth changing the world one ripple at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts